Cannot see USB port

Wink setup, hardware, basic programming. User to user support.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
astrodad78
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Cannot see USB port

Postby astrodad78 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:11 am

Hi,

I'm trying to setup our new Wink2 for my son to use. We have a Mac running OS 10.11.6 (El Capitan). We installed the Arduino IDE and the FTID driver. Per the FTID installation guide, before installing the FTID drivers we downloaded and ran the D2xxHelper per section 7 of

http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documen ... AC_OSX.pdf

We set the proper board and processor in the Arduino IDE but in the Port setting all we see is:

Serial ports <-- greyed out
/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port

I have tried plugging and unplugging the Wink robot, making sure it's powered on first, then after plugging in, rebooting my computer, and just nothing comes up in the port menu related to a USB port. Any other tips or things I should try?

thanks,

Astrodad78

astrodad78

Re: Cannot see USB port

Postby astrodad78 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:09 am

I'm now suspecting my cable...makes me wonder why y'all don't include a good one?

Will order a new one and try again.

Kevin

Re: Cannot see USB port

Postby Kevin » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:14 am

Hello astrodad78-

I think it's possible you have the wrong version of the FTDI driver. I'm going from memory here, but I don't think I've ever heard of D2xxHelper, and I don't recall reading an installation guide from them.

This is the link where I believe (at least as of recently) you could get the correct version:
http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP/Mac ... r_v2_3.dmg

Try to install that, if it works then great. Otherwise, you may have to uninstall the D2xxHelper stuff. Not sure how to do that, but there is an uninstall tool somewhere on the FTDI site if it's really needed.

The cable is possible though I think it's rare. I think some cables from over seas are intended just as charging cables. If it says USB on it, then as far as I know it should carry data also, but that may not always be. I think some are failed data cables, or data cables that don't have all pins connected.

Let me know if that helps and we'll go from there.

Thanks!
-Kevin