Wink skt500_recv() when programming

Wink setup, hardware, basic programming. User to user support.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
kushagrgoyal
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Wink skt500_recv() when programming

Postby kushagrgoyal » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:40 pm

Hi,
i received my wink recently. i am on macbook air, mac 10.11.2 and am using the latest arduino IDE 1.6.7 and the latest FTDI 2.3 drivers.

The issue i am facing is:
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

this goes on for 10 attempts and then it stops. the port i see is "/dev/cu.usbserial-DA01HH35"

I've tried following things to make it work:
1. switching out usb cables.
2. reinstalling all the drivers.

I am not sure if the programmer is faulty or its a driver issue. the charging led turns on on wink when connected, and while it attempts to upload the sketch, the led for RX blinks every time a 'new attempt' is made. i couldnt get it to work with answers in previous posts, can anyone please help????

Thanks.

Kushagr

Kevin

Re: Wink Issue.

Postby Kevin » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:07 pm

Hey kushagrgoyal,

I've posted a guide to the programmer this morning. Please have a look and see if your issue is resolved after this.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=732

Thanks!
-Kevin

wclift

Postby wclift » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:13 pm

This sounds just like the problem I had. It could be one of several items, and I posted my own experience on a couple other threads. My issues, after getting it all hooked up right, were two simple points:
1) In IDE, select Board->Adruino FIO
2) Before pushing "upload", make sure the Wink is ON.

Just plugging Wink in does turn on the Wink "charging" light, but this does NOT turn it on. Right next to the power button is a tiny "on" light. Press the PWR button and the on-light will light, and Wink will chirp, and then it will begin executing the initial demo program, which causes it to skitter on it's tether. This is why I kept turning it off! Oops.

Turning it ON made all the difference for me ;) .

sil

Postby sil » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:22 am

The ON switch is a problem that still catches me out too so dont worry about it too much. Get yourself a soft rubber pencil eraser as a stand to sit your Ringo or Wink on so it doesnt go skittering off :) I still get transfer errors occassionally though but unplugging and turning off the bot, then reconnecting and turning on gets it back on track. Its not much of a problem though. I am using an old eeePC around 1GHz as my development machine for my bots, its not much use for anything else but for Ringo and Wink its highly portable and works well for this purpose.

heislr

Postby heislr » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:40 pm

That only works if your wink moved past the orange charging light stage and can actually turn on. Mine does not!!!!!!!

bananesf

Postby bananesf » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:54 pm

After checking all of the troubleshooting tips, we were still getting those errors. What worked for us was: turn off the Wink, unplug the USB, then plug in the USB again, and turn on the Wink again. Uploading worked with no stk500_getsync() errors.

Kevin

Postby Kevin » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:38 pm

Thanks for the followup.

For some reason, the component of the Arduino IDE that actually does the uploading - if it fails, it keeps the connection hanging, so when you try to upload a second time after correcting the problem, you see it repeated, even though you may have corrected the problem (like forgetting to turn on the robot).

The most direct solution I've found is to unplug and re-plug the USB cable to the programmer. This seems to signal the computer that the connection is no longer there and Arduino will let go of the connection. Once it plugs back in, you can upload right away.

So I think the key thing you did was the unplug and re-plug. Turning the robot on and off shouldn't have any effect because the IC on the programmer pulls the Reset line on the robot's processor just before uploading which has the same effect of cycling power.

Note I changed the name of this thread so it's a bit more specific for others to find easily.

Thanks,
-Kevin