Wink Tips and Tricks for First-time Arduino Upload problems

Wink setup, hardware, basic programming. User to user support.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
wclift
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Wink Tips and Tricks for First-time Arduino Upload problems

Postby wclift » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:52 am

I've posted answers to a couple upload problem questions about my experience today regarding first time Arduino use and my failed attempts to upload my first program to my new Winks. There were enough questions that I thought I'd post a new thread with my findings, to maybe save people some time.

Long story, but suffice it to say I couldn't upload to my new Wink from the latest Arduino IDE 1.6.7. I kept getting avrdude messages indicating failure to connect and upload. After 10 retries, it finally quits, and I spent hours and hours debugging why. In the end, I had one of those kick-in-the-head experiences after I got it working by nearly random chance. The final answer...the ON button. Here are the critical details.

1) Make sure in the IDE, you have selected Tools->Board -> Arduino Fio
(Even though the web site talks about Wink and Ringo being an Uno design, do not select Genuino Uno!)

2) Make sure you select the right COM port at Tools -> Port.
(Pretty easy to discover. Plug and unplug USB cable and see what COM port disappears and appears)

3) Finally, though the Wink+Programmer board are plugged together and connected to USB cable and charging light is on, the WINK IS NOT ON!
You MUST gently push the left "ON/PWR" button. Wink will chirp and start executing the last program, which may make it run around. I don't know how to get it on without it running it's last program. But it MUST be on.

4) Now, press the UPLOAD button.

The kick in the head, after three hours, two computers, 3 re-installs, 2 usb cables, and a big headache...was realizing the WINK was not actually on when I was trying to upload to it! (And selecting Fio is critical, but at least the video and document told me to do that once I read them!)

The issue missed in the current documentation, based largely around the Ringo is that Ringo seems to have a physical slider power switch, so it's obvious and they tell you to turn the Ringo on. But because the Wink has no positional power switch, I totally missed that Wink wasn't on. There should be more instructions about that...so, here it is.

If others have more ideas, please add them to this thread.

Kevin

Re: Wink Tips and Tricks for First-time Arduino Upload problems

Postby Kevin » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:00 pm

This is a great thread to start. I've made it a sticky.

FYI I wrote a similar guide this morning which is also a sticky with similar instructions. This will be a good place to keep track of any other random issues and solutions that may come up. Eventually we can build the whole thing into a PDF guide or something.

The other guide I wrote:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=732

Thanks!

heislr

Postby heislr » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:30 pm

My wink has been charging forever. The red light is on, but it will not turn on and chirp. Any ideas?

wclift

Postby wclift » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:24 am

You're going to have to give me a bit more to go on. There are TWO small indicator lights near two small buttons. When looking at Wink from the back, the button on the LEFT is the power button and the button on the right is a programmable button for use in your programming. Plug the USB cable from computer to programming board, and then connect Wink correctly to the programming board, you will see one "charge" light go on on the RIGHT side of the Wink. When you push the POWER button on the left, a small power light right next to the power button should come on.

What happens next depends on what program you've uploaded onto Wink. If you have just received Wink and are connecting it for the first time and it has never been programmed by you, then when you turn the power button on, it should chirp and then run the first of it's demo programs. If you've successfully programmed it with your own program, it may or may not chirp at the start, depending on what you left in the setup routine.

If all of this was familiar to you, and you pressed the power button, and the pwr light doesn't come on, then it could be a power button or battery issue. If the power light does come on but nothing else happens, then Wink may need to be programmed, and you should proceed to download the base sketch or demo program onto it.

Even if Wink is mostly discharged, it should still turn on when plugged into an active programming board for a few minutes. But just "charging" Wink won't turn it on. You must push the power button to turn it on, and you should see the power light.

So, with that explanation, what steps did you do and what exactly did you see/hear?

Kevin

Postby Kevin » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:11 pm

Thanks for the followup on this wclift. I think we've established offline that this robot died in transit. :( We're exchanging it. I'll be curious to see what's up when it returns.

Thanks!
-Kevin