Tires for Wink

Wink setup, hardware, basic programming. User to user support.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
pepijnkoopman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Tires for Wink

Postby pepijnkoopman » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:44 am

Does anybody have an idea about how to give a Wink small "tires" to give it better grip on surfaces that are not completely smooth?

danner26

Re: Tires for Wink

Postby danner26 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:26 pm

If you have a 3D printer like I do, that is capable of printing NinjaFlex, we would 3D print wheels and adapters for these motors! I think that'd be a good idea, or find online small rubber "tires" that can fit around the motor snugly

sil

Postby sil » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:42 pm

Earring back stoppers. I bought a bulk pack off ebay cheap made of silicon rubber. But you should be able to get some anywhere you get earrings or ears pierced. Mine are tiny rounded cone shaped with a hole in the rear only, meant to slide over the small pin of an earring and comfortably hold it safely to the ear. The silicon rubber ones i found offer good grip on polished slippery surfaces and help on surfaces with with pits and scratches that can catch your bot out. These are not 100% perfect but close, the holes are not perfectly centered so its a bit like having an imbalanced tyre on a car, it is a bit shaky but it runs well enough on my line following track doing lap after lap on its own.

I'd tried making tyres using slices of an eraser from a mechanical pencil and found it very hard to find the perfect center so its balanced on the bot, when it wasnt perfect the motor wouldnt move at all or would spin inside the tyre. The Ringo and WInk bots dont use high torque motors and i think it puts them at risk of damage if you experiment with much larger tyres. The earring back stoppers are the best existing product i've found and you can probably get a few free at your local mall.

Edit: search ebay for "earring stoppers" and you'll see what i'm talking about. I'm using them on my ringo with the "pointy" end at the ground, so its running on a small circumference tyre. Also mine dont have a hole going all the way through.

xaf

Postby xaf » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:20 pm

I made tires using short pieces of hollow plastic laces. Huge improvement on surfaces which are either too slippery or too rough.

fatlard1993

Postby fatlard1993 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:36 pm

I got these: http://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-Safety-Cry ... ge_o00_s00

They not only look like neat little treaded tires but they work incredible! They also have a consistent hole in the middle so theres no wobblyness. :D

Now I have 140 of these things to figure out what else to do with.. hmm..