mac Capitan Has no usb port option

Wink setup, hardware, basic programming. User to user support.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
la_urraca
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

mac Capitan Has no usb port option

Postby la_urraca » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:43 am

Hi guys new to the forum and new to arduino and coding in general.

Environment: mac book(retina)/ El capitan 10.11.2

After reading the forum I can't figure out why my mac will not show me my usb port as an option. I installed the drivers and followed the set up instructions. My arduino software is set for arduino fio but when I check for the ports(usb cable inserted and programmer attached to it) I only get a bluetooth option which I'm guessing is not the correct one. Has anyone had this happen and is there a work around for this problem. I guess I can always use my wifes old mac.

Thanks for the help.

wclift

Re: mac Capitan Has no usb port option

Postby wclift » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:22 am

I helped a friend with a problem like this last night. The usb drivers were installed in a PC laptop, but when we plugged in the programming board, the computer didn't recognize it. In this case, it was the USB cable. The plugs were all the right size :-), but for some reason the cable didn't work. We swapped cables for one I knew worked, and his computer suddenly started recognizing the the board and producing the COM port.

So, first, try a different cable or two.
Good Luck,
Wayne

la_urraca

Postby la_urraca » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:52 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Wayne. After trying 3 different cables no luck. I will try a different computer and see how that goes.

wclift

Postby wclift » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:06 pm

Next thing to be careful of is plugging in the board before installing the usb driver. It didn't happen to me, so I don't have first hand experience, but the instructions for driver installation say that if you plug in the board before the drivers, that sometimes, it mis-recognizes the board and accepts it, but with a driver that won't work with Wink.

So, on your next computer, make sure to do the driver install BEFORE plugging in the programming board.

Then, your next step is just to see if the computer can be made to recognize the programming board. The sign will be a new com port appearing on your machine and in the Arduino software.

Good Luck,
Wayne

la_urraca

Postby la_urraca » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:47 pm

Tried an older mac with Yosemite and bam it worked. After digging around the Arduino forums found out that indeed El capitan has issues with Arduino. Here is a link to the info for anyone interested. http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=351999.0