Ringo/Wink confusion

Wink setup, hardware, basic programming. User to user support.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
shanghai_girl
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Ringo/Wink confusion

Postby shanghai_girl » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:12 am

I have recently taken delivery of my Wink but when I follow all the instruction (even choosing Wink from the getting started page) everything refers to Ringo. I have tried three times and two computers setting the blasted thing up and everywhere - all the downloaded code has Ringo all over it. I have managed to upload the preloaded behaviours onto it but nothing more.

I am slightly worried that I seem to be the only person who is having this problem.

Yesterday when I turned the thing on (it took me hours of forums searches to find the on/off switch which is different to the switch in all the videos and documentation), the two eyes were blue. Now when I turn it on, there one red eye and another smaller light has just appeared. OMG what is going on.

All I want is the Wink software, code and videos. I don't want to see 'Ringo' anywhere. It's causing confusion as it's a different creature.

I have wasted most of Saturday and much of Sunday trying and trying to rectify this and to find the correct downloads but now I am giving up.

Any help much appreciated as I have been looking forward to this little thing coming all the way from the other side of the world and the kids are excited about programming it and now I hate it. :x

Kevin

Re: Ringo/Wink confusion

Postby Kevin » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:16 pm

Hello Shanghai_girl,

Sorry to hear of the frustration. I'm sure we can get things worked out.

The source for all the information, setup, and files for Wink can be found at www.plumgeek.com/wink

There should have been a paper attached to the bag containing the robot with this link. I'm sorry if it was missed on your robot. The information for installing the Arduino libraries is identical between Wink and Ringo.

The differences between Wink and Ringo are the power buttons and the software you load onto the robot.

For Wink, for power, you press the button on the rear left of the robot for 1/4 second, labeled "PWR", the robot will turn on. (This is different than the slide switch on Ringo). Press for 1/4 second to latch the robot on, then press it again briefly to turn the robot off. I know we need to update the docs to reflect this. We'll do that as soon as possible once we get all the units shipped.

The other difference to note is that you can't load sketches with "ringo" in the name onto the Wink robot. It won't hurt anything if you do, the robot just won't do anything because the processor is pinned differently.

For the Wink software, following the link above, there are three links under the heading "Here are links to the lesson plans, and example code." That is where you'll find all the code, lessons, etc.

Wink should already be pre-loaded with demo software. He has 3 behaviors which can be indexed through by pressing the button on the right of the robot labeled "BTN". Once you power on the robot it should start driving around randomly with the eyes changing color.

If you run into any problems getting the programmer talking to the robot, I've made a post on our forum describing some of the issues you may encounter as well as solutions. Here's the link:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=732

If you have more issues I'm glad to help. Please provide as much detail as possible as to where you're having trouble and we'll get it solved.

Thanks!
-Kevin

sil

Postby sil » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:34 pm

Please be aware that Kickstarter is not a retail store. So there are going to be teething problems as campaigners encounter problems in the long complicated process of taking an idea through to delivering a product to the consumer. Both Ringo and Wink are very new and unfortunately there have been some confusions for some people getting started. I understand the excitement of a new "toy" but I hope you persevere and enjoy your Wink.

You're not alone in having problems getting up and running but once you get example code uploaded correctly to your robot you have passed the largest hurdles. From there on its down to coding problems. The example behaviours and lessons provided by Plumgeek are clearly labelled Ringo and Wink so just remember not to expect Ringo code to compile and run on your Wink.

Enjoy learning to code and exploring what you can do with your Wink!

Rob

Postby Rob » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:15 pm