arduino/wink issue

Wink setup, hardware, basic programming. User to user support.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
octaverb
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

arduino/wink issue

Postby octaverb » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:57 pm

Hi everybody

I just receive a wink robot for my 9 year old son. And it seem i have two problems to solve at the same time. First one : the arduino software doesn't work (version 1.8 on a mac os 10.7.5). Whatever the code could be (even the basic one) it cannot be verified : i always have this error message :
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
exit status 1
Erreur de compilation pour la carte Arduino Fio

(i'm french so the message is in french ;)

i found a solution in using the web editor here --> https://create.arduino.cc/editor
But with this online editor, impossible to select the arduino fio in the board selector section

If anyone has already encountered this kind of issue, it would be great to hear a bunch of advices.
Sorry if y english is a bit rough !!

ddobrien

Re: arduino/wink issue

Postby ddobrien » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:46 pm

Hi Octaverb,

We may be experiencing the same issue - I can't get the initial base sketch on Arduino to verify. Although the error I'm receiving may be different than yours. But if you haven't already, please see viewtopic.php?f=13&t=899 and let me know if you see a similar problem. Thanks.

octaverb

Postby octaverb » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:01 pm

Here is the beginning of an answer

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoB ... rogramming

For arduino, the Fio is a retired board, and the advice is to program it by radio wireless :shock: :shock:

This is explaining why the Fio is no more referenced in the web version of the arduino editor :(((

Do you think i could use Scratch instead ?

Thanx so much for helping !

Kevin

Postby Kevin » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:06 am

I'll have a look into this.

By selecting the board, we're really just telling the compiler and the program that uploads the program what target board we're using. There is a bootloader on the target that only accepts incoming code at a certain pre defined baud rate. We use 57600 on all our units. Any other board that uploads at 57600 would probably work as well though I haven't tried others yet.

I haven't had a chance to play with the Arduino online editor, but maybe someone can try selecting each board and uploading and report back if you have success with any of them. Inside the normal Arduino IDE (the non web version), it uses a file called boards.txt that defines each name and the upload parameters. I wonder if there is a way to specify or upload a custom boards.txt to the online version? If so we could manually specify "Wink/Ringo" and give the correct parameters to upload.

One other note, on the link above about programming the Fio, our programming adapter is basically a custom version of the Sparkfun FTDI programmer noted in the app note, so instructions given for that solution should work.

Please let me know if you find anything along these lines. It would be super helpful for everyone.

Thanks,
-Kevin