Resolving IR Remote Conflicts with Neopixels

Plumduino setup, hardware, basic programming. User to user support.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
TelegramSam
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Resolving IR Remote Conflicts with Neopixels

Postby TelegramSam » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:34 am

I figured out how to get the IR remote to work reliably when you are also using neopixels. I blogged about it, and I hope other Plumduino users find it useful. My code examples have been de-plumduinoified to make it more applicable for general Arduino use.

http://www.notsodistantfuture.com/2016/ ... ssing.html

As a new Arduino user, this was hard to figure out. I hope this helps it be easier for you!

If you have questions, please ask away.

Kevin

Re: Resolving IR Remote Conflicts with Neopixels

Postby Kevin » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:44 pm

Hey Sam. Thanks for sharing this. Great work.

It's been a while since I had a close look at the IR handler we provide but I think there is a flag set there as well. Something like an "ir in progress" flag.

I'm curious how much code space is required for the IR library you used? When we started back with the Ringo robot, the available libraries we found were fairly large on code space, so we wrote our own custom handler that is much trimmed down. We then used this same handler on the Wink and Plumduino boards. If the handler you are using is sufficiently small, and it is being commonly used in the community we may consider migrating that way if we ever re-visit the IR in the future.

Thanks for the good work and the blog post. Well done. :)

ps - is that your workbench area? It looks like it's sheet metal with cooling grates or something. Looks cool anyway lit up with the pixels.

TelegramSam

Re: Resolving IR Remote Conflicts with Neopixels

Postby TelegramSam » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:48 pm

That workbench area is... well.... I live in an Airstream. I've been on a road trip for 3 years with my wife and kids. I love how the lights reflect around the shiny inside, especially when dark.

The Plumduino has been awesome for our home schooling! There are other beginner boards out there, but the easy nature of the Plumduino (with the expansion board, build in variable resistors and IR remote) has made it easy to learn.

I didn't look at the size usage, but I'll do a test and report back. I don't remember it being huge.