Blew up plumduino by applying 12V to vin

Plumduino setup, hardware, basic programming. User to user support.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
carl.schulz
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Blew up plumduino by applying 12V to vin

Postby carl.schulz » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:12 pm

Hi
I blew up my Plumduino when I was trying to power it from a PC power supply to use it as a light inside my computer.
I tried this with a Arduino Nano and they can be powered with max 12 Volt on Vin.
I tried the same with the Plumduino and then there immediately was some smoke left of LED 7
No visible damage
Is this fixable?
Best
Carl

Kevin

Re: Blew up plumduino by applying 12V to vin

Postby Kevin » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:12 pm

Hello Carl,

Sorry to hear that. The connection on the board is intended for 5 volts so it make sense that you saw smoke. The smoke probably came from a diode to the left of D7 but that would tell me a lot of current was going someplace else as well. That line connects to most of the parts on the board so lots of things saw the over voltage but hard to predict what could have been damaged. That line connects to the processor as well. I don't think there's much hope for it unfortunately. You may try connecting a known 5v supply to the pins labeled 5v0 along the side and see if anything works. Connecting along the 5v0 lines will bypass the diode in question. If something did burn through and short low, you may still get a lot of current though. Hard to guess.

We do have a few more Plumduinos if you'd like another just let me know.

Thanks and sorry it wasn't better news.
-Kevin