Power

The more technical aspects of Spirit, and carry-over discussion from Kickstarter updates.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
TomTheWhittler
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Power

Postby TomTheWhittler » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:12 pm

Although I am having fun with my assembled Spirit Rover there is one big important thing missing from the kit.
That would be a power supply to recharge the battery. It is not on the bill of materials and not mentioned at all in the manual.
Once the battery drains the fun stops.
I guess that makes our Spirit Rovers just like the real Mars Spirit Rovers. :D
I do not mind getting a power supply but we really need to know what size (5 volts 2 amps ?) and what plug size (N, M, ??).
I am presuming that it would plug in on the main board with the obvious DC type power connector.
Research is the only place in a company where you can continually have failures and still keep your job.
I knew immediately that was where I belonged.

TomTheWhittler

Re: Power

Postby TomTheWhittler » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:46 pm

For those that are reading my previous question about charging

Plum Geek wrote on the Kickstarter comment section :

"Thomas - I must not have mentioned it (I'll have it in the full instructions for sure) but the robot recharges off of USB. Just plug a USB cable into the port and you'll see the Charge LED turn on by the battery. Once it's fully charged the LED will go off and it'll automatically stop. The barrel connector is there in case anyone wants to run the robot long term off an external supply - I envisioned having a cord hanging from above as one drives endlessly around a table or controlled from the internet or something. The charging circuit will pull the standard 500ma from your USB port, which should fully recharge the battery in 4 to 5 hours."

So I had a micro USB cable and 5 volt 1amp wall wart.
The charging USB port is the one with the yellow tape that is to be removed at the end of the build instructions.
Using this port I have successfully charged my Spirit Rover back to life..
Research is the only place in a company where you can continually have failures and still keep your job.
I knew immediately that was where I belonged.