Installing WiFi

The more technical aspects of Spirit, and carry-over discussion from Kickstarter updates.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Marcel-Jan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Installing WiFi

Postby Marcel-Jan » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:39 pm

I would like to use an Internet connection of some kind on the rover. It makes it much easier installing new Python modules I want to use. And since the Ethernet port is blocked by the black frame, I bought an ESP8266 WiFi module. These are not expensive at all.

But I can place the ESP8266 in two ways: toward the rover or away from the rover. Any idea which is the correct orientation?

Image of ESP8266 towards the rover:

TomTheWhittler

Re: Installing WiFi

Postby TomTheWhittler » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:52 am

I am not sure a separate WiFi is really needed. The Raspberry PI 3 already has WiFi built in so in theory that could be used.
There is a picture of the other WiFi installed on the campaign page.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pl ... escription

I will try to attached it here.
... okay.. failed... largest attachment size is 256KiB...
Just use the link above and scroll 3/4 way down.

From the picture you supplied it looks backwards.
Research is the only place in a company where you can continually have failures and still keep your job.
I knew immediately that was where I belonged.

Marcel-Jan

Postby Marcel-Jan » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:29 pm

I should have checked that. Luckily it wasn't expensive. Maybe I can use the ESP8266 for some other purpose in the future.

TomTheWhittler

Postby TomTheWhittler » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:08 pm

I am guessing that Kevin has a plan down the road for having Bluetooth and Wifi duplicated on the Arduino control board.
I believe it is so we do not have to be tied to the Raspberry PI 3 board down the road and still have those functions as well as Xbee/ZigBee.
The campaign page eludes to some functions like Xbee/ZigBee communications are better for swarming than Wifi.

I am anxious to see what Kevin has in mind.
Research is the only place in a company where you can continually have failures and still keep your job.
I knew immediately that was where I belonged.