Spirit built!

The more technical aspects of Spirit, and carry-over discussion from Kickstarter updates.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Silfr
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Spirit built!

Postby Silfr » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:26 am

I finished building my rover and now he's making all his happy little noises and zooming around my floor! He's a little cautious with the wood grain, though.

I'm pretty excited, but have no real experience with Python or Arduino. My knowledge of computers tells me there's a file stored somewhere on Spirit that would have the current code, but I don't know how or if I can see that amd use it as a means of figuring out how it operates.

I've started looking around online at some simple coding tutorials for Python (mostly with the camera- flipping its orientation and getting it to capture images and video), but would like to look at the current code to learn something more specific to rovers and the sensors on board.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

romamaker

Re: Spirit built!

Postby romamaker » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:44 pm

Unfortunately it's not quite that simple. The default behavior code that your seeing is loaded on the Arduino side. You will eventually need the Arduino IDE in order to write your code for the Arduino. You can go ahead and download and install the IDE from the Arduino website: What happens is, you will use this IDE to write the code for the Arduino board. The IDE then compiles this code into a form of machine language, and loads it to the Arduino board. There's not an easy way to pull that machine code back off the Arduino and recreate the editable source code in the IDE. So we need to wait for Kevin to publish the default behavior source code and appropriate libraries in order modify these behaviors.

Now, on the Raspberry Pi side, it's sort of a blank slate at the moment. Good news is, it's a fully functioning, stand alone computer at this point. It just happens to have the ability to interface with the Arduino board via some GPIO Pins. So, while we wait, it is possible to experiment some with the RPi side of things. You can go ahead and setup the wireless networking, play around with the camera, and write some sample Python code just to get the hang of the language.

Silfr

Re: Spirit built!

Postby Silfr » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:28 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I had picked up an Arduboy a while back, and have used the Arduino IDE to load games on it. I knew it would overwrite each time I put a new game on it, but didnt know it was basically translating the code. I also thought the code may have been somewhere on the Pi.

I read through some of the Wink tutorials last night. Being new to robotics, it was pretty helpful. I think I'll wait until the Spirit codes are available before trying to upload to the board.