Rpi controlling the pic : how do they communicate?

The more technical aspects of Spirit, and carry-over discussion from Kickstarter updates.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Bastian
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Rpi controlling the pic : how do they communicate?

Postby Bastian » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:49 pm

After playing a while with the demo sketch, I would like to move on with controlling Spirit by Python and OpenCV. I’ve browsed the base and demo sketch and header files for clues on the connection between the pic and the rpi, but couldn’t find anything. So I hope someone can give me some hints.
- Can I use the standard serial ports (Rx/Tx) or is the Spirit configured in another way?
- Do I need to code a sketch for the pic receiving commands from the Rpi ,translate those into the base/Arduino (servo)motor commands and sending sensor data to the Rpi? Or is there already a base function somewhere in the library?
Hoping for some direction here!

TomTheWhittler

Re: Rpi controlling the pic : how do they communicate?

Postby TomTheWhittler » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:40 pm

You may have to wait (like me (or us)) for a couple of weeks while Kevin and Nona play catch up with shipping 600 units. Then Kevin can focus back on the software and documentation aspect.
Research is the only place in a company where you can continually have failures and still keep your job.
I knew immediately that was where I belonged.

Bastian

Postby Bastian » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:33 pm

Thank you,

I was afraid of this :lol:

Like I'm also afraid it is SPI as I read in Comms.ino, line 772 and further:

// ************ SPI SLAVE COMMUNICATION FUNCTIONS *************
// These functions handle incomming SPI data from an attached Raspberry Pi board

Which probably implies chopping everything into bytes, juggling with floats, etc.
But if so, I'll deal with it. I find the Spirit itself worth the extra coding headache although it's just for the comms.

Great tech and most supportive people. That's why I tried the forum i.s.o. bothering them.

Seems I better focus on one of my other projects for the coming weeks ;)

Kevin

Postby Kevin » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:57 pm

Hey guys. I'm trying to get some Pi code up soon. It's pretty easy to do once the code is there. Been busy trying to get the robots out. :D