Code Arduino from Rasbian with Spirit.

The more technical aspects of Spirit, and carry-over discussion from Kickstarter updates.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
eldaria
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Code Arduino from Rasbian with Spirit.

Postby eldaria » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:54 pm

As the title suggest, is it possible to program the Arduino of Spirit directly from Rasbian?

I was first thinking to just loop the USB cable, but was worried I fry something.
Also I would not be able to keep it charged as I do not have any other way than the USB port to power it.

What I mean is; just as I can program the Arduino by connecting it to a computer and using the Arduino IDE, is there an internal connection between them so that I can program it from Raspian?

esba1ley

Re: Code Arduino from Rasbian with Spirit.

Postby esba1ley » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:26 am

I *think* that the Arduino can be programmed via SPI, which means that it's over the GPIO interface, not USB, so the loopback cable wouldn't be needed. In /dev, you can see /dev/ttyAMA0 ... which looks suspiciously like an AVR microcontroller serial interface. But... when I install the arduino IDE, it doesn't recognize the /dev/ttyAMA0 as a viable serial interface... any AVR wizards out there have any suggestions? Kevin?
----------
Erik S. Bailey
Entry, Descent, and Landing Aerospace Engineer
Maker, and Musician
SpiritRover Kickstarter Backer #460

gpvillamil

Re: Code Arduino from Rasbian with Spirit.

Postby gpvillamil » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:14 pm

This would be great to know!

At the very least being able to view the Arduino console would be very helpful. I'd like to be able log sensor readings while it is roaming around, etc.