Some thoughts on setup for the RPi board - configure FIRST

The more technical aspects of Spirit, and carry-over discussion from Kickstarter updates.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
gpvillamil
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Some thoughts on setup for the RPi board - configure FIRST

Postby gpvillamil » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:56 am

Spirit is built and working, now starting to poke around the RPi. One thing that occurs to me: it would make a lot of sense to configure the RPi BEFORE assembly.

Here's what would make sense:

1) Plug the board into keyboard/mouse/monitor and power
2) Connect to WiFi
3) Do the dist-upgrade to get Pixel, etc.
4) Enable RealVNC and test it

THEN finish assembling Spirit. This way you can access the RPi wirelessly, without having to connect the HDMI cable. I found it was a really tight fit with my cables, and I had to whittle them down to fit between the spacers.

Doing all the RPi config while the Spirit is on, and responding to input, can be a little alarming! It keeps trying to run away! I ended up setting it on a small box so that it couldn't roll away.

Also by doing this you can connect via RealVNC and fire up the camera on the Pi with qv4l2, and see the view while Spirit roams around...
Last edited by gpvillamil on Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

esba1ley

Re: Some thoughts on setup for the RPi board - configure FIRST

Postby esba1ley » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:30 am

Seconded.
----------
Erik S. Bailey
Entry, Descent, and Landing Aerospace Engineer
Maker, and Musician
SpiritRover Kickstarter Backer #460