Spontaneous power off?

The more technical aspects of Spirit, and carry-over discussion from Kickstarter updates.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
gpvillamil
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Spontaneous power off?

Postby gpvillamil » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:18 pm

Any circumstances that could cause a spontaneous power off?

I had a VNC connection open to the Pi, and was running QV4L2 to see a windowed view of the camera. Spirit was doing its autonomous roving demo behavior. Suddenly stopped dead, all lights off.

Pressing PWR button restarted correctly.

Is it possible that too much power draw could cause it to shut down?

esba1ley

Re: Spontaneous power off?

Postby esba1ley » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:22 am

I'm seeing this, too. In my case, I had the following going on:

OpenCV was streaming the camera to a window, while I was commanding the pan/tilt head to sweep the full range of its motion in 15 command step increments. I was also plugged in via the USB cable to charge the battery pack... so I thought it couldn't be a brown out issue since I was on shore power.

When I do the same thing WITHOUT VNC, I don't get that problem. I'm wondering if the WiFi high-bandwidth, combined with the camera usage is drawing too much power to the Pi and it browns out the other board... that's my hypothesis so far.

Besides the two of us, is anyone else experiencing a spontaneous shutdown?
----------
Erik S. Bailey
Entry, Descent, and Landing Aerospace Engineer
Maker, and Musician
SpiritRover Kickstarter Backer #460