Large off-center points with pan-tilt snagging cables

The more technical aspects of Spirit, and carry-over discussion from Kickstarter updates.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
esba1ley

Large off-center points with pan-tilt snagging cables

Postby esba1ley » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:26 pm

Something I've noticed, too, the cable management coming off the pan/tilt head gets the ribbon connector from the camera snagged on neighboring connectors in large off-center points. I'm currently trying to re-arrange my cables so they don't snag because I don't want to have to replace the ribbon cable from having it wear out by snagging on the plastic connectors on the top board. Hopefully I'll have a work-able solution and can post what that is. I'm not 100% confident in my reconfiguration yet to recommend it to others. Stay tuned.

Any of you out there have suggestions or fixes you've tried?
----------
Erik S. Bailey
Entry, Descent, and Landing Aerospace Engineer
Maker, and Musician
SpiritRover Kickstarter Backer #460

gpvillamil
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Large off-center points with pan-tilt snagging cables

Postby gpvillamil » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:46 pm

I see what you mean. I am leaning to zip tying the ribbon cable to the eye LED and ultrasonic sensor cable to keep it up and out of the way.

headamage

Re: Large off-center points with pan-tilt snagging cables

Postby headamage » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:27 pm

Best solution I could come up with to minimise ribbon movement is as follows (for all wires):
Pan wire between left wing and body just behind the front suporting bracket. Not overlapping any other cables.
Rangefirnder wire between left wing and body near the middle (where the buzzer is located) not overlapping any other cables
Left pixels through the opening hole between left wing and body. Same for right pixels.
Bottom right sensor through the opening hole between right wing and body.
Bottom left sensor through the opening hole on the left wing and body and over the ribbon cable. Do not overlap the rangefinder cable.
Eyes route under the bottom right sensor cable, then under the ribbon cable and to the connector.

If you route your cables as above you should have the eyes pixels routed under the bottom right sensor and ribbon cables. This implies it is also under the bottom left sensor cable. The bottom left sensor cable should rise above the ribbon cable and clear all the other cables to reach its socket.

This should give you a placement of cables where the ribbon is supported above the surface of the arduino and therefore can't get caught in anything. It will also move freely and independetly of all other cables while it is being supported by the eyes pixel cable under it. So if you did it right, the ribbon should be between the eyes and the bottom left sensor and each of those thicker wires will prevent it from moving down or up too much. The rangefinder and tilt cables will also be out of the way with enough slack to cover the full range of motion. I also tucked away all the remaining slack under the Pi.
One extra thing I did was to pull the ribbon cable forward so that it comes all the way down to the base of the head and there is a right angle there routing it back to the body. It makes it look neater and hides some of the excess length behind the camera. I guess there are many ways you can do this but the main idea is to use the thicker twisted pairs of cables as a support below the ribbon cable to lift it off the board.