Feature request: Trim for drive motors?

The more technical aspects of Spirit, and carry-over discussion from Kickstarter updates.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
gpvillamil
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Feature request: Trim for drive motors?

Postby gpvillamil » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:10 pm

Everything is working well, I've started to test lots of Arduino stuff. Successfully trimmed the pan/tilt/grip servos so they are all nicely centered and leveled by default.

One thing I've noticed: when moving forward in the autonomous mode, it drifts slightly to the left. (I'm sure others will experience other distortions, it is a fact of life with DC motors).

Would it be possible to add a trim adjustment to the drive motors, similar to the servos, to get it to move in a straight line?

gpvillamil

Re: Feature request: Trim for drive motors?

Postby gpvillamil » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:25 am

This looks easy to do, I'll work on it tomorrow.

I'm going to provide a trim value (negative, turn left; positive turn right) applied as a percentage to the motor speed (divide the trim value / 2 and use it to increase one motor and decrease the other). I'll look into the EEPROM code to see where I can park this value, though may not be necessary.

I suspect that the power/speed curves may not be linear or the same shape for both motors, so I may provide an array of trim values for different speed ranges.