Spirit Raspberry Pi Setup

The more technical aspects of Spirit, and carry-over discussion from Kickstarter updates.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Nickw58
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Spirit Raspberry Pi Setup

Postby Nickw58 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:04 pm

Hi,

Just finished following the instructions to setup the Pi, I came across two issues.

1) Installing the NeoPixel Code failed, reported pyhton.h file missing. After a bit of investigation on the Web I installed Python Dev then re ran the install of rpi_ws281x this the installed clean. I used following command to install Python Dev

sudo apt-get install python-dev

2) Setting up Virtual Env did not work to fix this I changed the line added to .bashrc file. I used the dir 'rover' NOT' roverbeta' in the command line. new line added was
source $HOME /rover/bin/activate

Health warning !!!! All of this is very new to me so not sure if actions taken are correct ;-) especially for issue 1 listed.

Hope this helps

Kevin

Re: Spirit Raspberry Pi Setup

Postby Kevin » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:39 am

Thanks Nick!

I did have an error in the .bashrc section. My code pointed of course to a beta directory I had been using for a while. I fixed it in the book. Thanks!

On you first issue, are you sure you did the first step of sudo apt-get install libpython2.7-dev? If so I would think that would have installed the dev package as well, but maybe they are different packages.

We'll keep looking for other reports of this.

The cron entries also ran together in the guide book for some reason but they should be fixed now.

gpvillamil

Re: Spirit Raspberry Pi Setup

Postby gpvillamil » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:33 am

The instructions as written ask you to install the NeoPixel driver (sudo pip install rpi_ws281x) BEFORE the Python dev tools (sudo apt-get install libpython2.7-dev). If you install the Python devtools first, everything works fine.

Perhaps update this in the instructions?

(And while you're at it, update the Arduino section to include board selection = Arduino Pro or Pro Mini, processor = AtMega328p 3.3v. It currently says Spirit is compatible with an Arduino Uno, which can cause confusion.