volts.py output problem

The more technical aspects of Spirit, and carry-over discussion from Kickstarter updates.
Kevin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: volts.py output problem

Postby Kevin » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:23 am

Okay everyone, I been working this today. Sure enough, building up a clean new unit, I get the exact problem as the rest of you.

First observation is the code on at least some of the SD cards is definitely different, even though I purchased them all together. When I went through my own setup steps, a few things were different. The raspi-config system is totally different options.

Looking at a scope, I see there is a problem during the read sequence, which is driven from the Pi side. I can't tell if it's in the chip hardware or somewhere in the software driver for the i2c on the Pi side.

Here are a couple notes I am hoping some of you can play with. Then I will post a bunch of screen dumps in a follow up post of the suggestions you guys had above....

This may be a relevant post:
https://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=118882

The person says they solved their problem "I had to load the module i2c-bcm2708 additionally to the already loaded module i2c-bcm2835. And after doing this I got a new folder in the /sys/module/ directory named i2c_bcm2708."

I don't know how you would load a module into an already loaded module. (Don't you just HATE HATE HATE :evil: :evil: :evil: when someone says they fixed it but don't post an actual command?).

Anyway, I think this problem is somewhere in one of the smbus modules or the low level i2c driver.

On both units I run lsmod.

On the working unit, I have i2c_bcm2708
On the non working newer unit I have i2c_bcm2835

I'm really hoping someone can help on this. I'll put some dumps in the next post. Thanks everyone. This i2c thing is critical to making the whole thing work like it's supposed to. I can say I'll never design anything with a Pi ever again. Dealing with that thing took a simple project and added about a thousand hours of un-necessary headache.

Kevin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kevin » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:44 am

gpvillamil

Postby gpvillamil » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:05 am

Nickw58

Postby Nickw58 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:02 am

Kevin

Postby Kevin » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:59 pm

gpvillamil

Postby gpvillamil » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:52 am

Nickw58

Postby Nickw58 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:59 am

Hi Guys,

I have tried adding i2c_bcm2835 to the blacklist.conf file. When I do this it stops i2c working, running i2cdetect fails with 'cannot open file' .
If I edit the blacklist file and change the line to 'blacklist i2c_bcm2708, so i12c_bcm2835 is loaded, i2cdetect now works but the Volts.py module still fails.

I also did a NOOBS fresh install on another Pi I have, then checked which module is loaded. By default i2c is not enabled on a fresh install so 'lsmod' showed no i2c_bcm2708 or 2835. Enabling i2c via the Pi Pixel interface I see module i2c_bcm2835 loaded and i2cdetect now works.

So for both my Pi's I need to have i2c_bcm2835 loaded for i2cdetect to run, but I think for your working unit Kevin you have i2c_bcm2708 loaded.

Kevin

Postby Kevin » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:11 pm

Kevin

Postby Kevin » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:13 pm

gpvillamil

Postby gpvillamil » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:18 pm