Alternative wheels for Spirit Rover

The more technical aspects of Spirit, and carry-over discussion from Kickstarter updates.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
gpvillamil
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Alternative wheels for Spirit Rover

Postby gpvillamil » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:59 pm

I noticed that performance on carpet is quite poor, due to the thin wheels. I designed some alternative wheels, more rover-like, that are designed to provide a greater contact patch, and include ridges to improve traction.

Here are the wheels and some pictures:

To be honest, the performance improvement was marginal. I may need to change the design to increase the contact area further, and make the ridges a zigzag pattern. I also want to add a groove for a rubber o-ring to act as a tire on smooth surfaces. This rover wheel is quite noisy on hard floors.

Any thoughts?

TomTheWhittler

Re: Alternative wheels for Spirit Rover

Postby TomTheWhittler » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:34 pm

Love it.. Too bad we could not make these 2 or 3 inches in diameter to give better surface area but then we would have to re-do motor mounts and such.
Ultimately I want to drive the Spirit Rover around my house remotely so I may have to design up a bigger system to have bigger wheels, hold more batteries, motors, etc..
On the other hand maybe I should just take my dead WowWee's Rovio and convert it.

Rovio.jpg
(18.27 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Research is the only place in a company where you can continually have failures and still keep your job.
I knew immediately that was where I belonged.

gpvillamil

Re: Alternative wheels for Spirit Rover

Postby gpvillamil » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:59 am