Raspberry Pi doesn't start

The more technical aspects of Spirit, and carry-over discussion from Kickstarter updates.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Marcel-Jan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Raspberry Pi doesn't start

Postby Marcel-Jan » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:52 am

This weekend I had some time, so I thought "today I will get the weels running with Python". Instead this happened:

I followed these instructions directly while connected to my Raspberri Pi:
I ran raspi-config and tried Expand Filesystem, but that didn't work. I suppose because it was already expanded?
Then I enabled SPI and I2C.
Then I ran sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade and... it didn't start anymore.
I was able to start Raspberry Pi in safe mode, where I got to NOOBS, but even reinstalling the Raspberry Pi didn't work. It crashes almost immediately when it starts writing to ext4.

Is this recoverable somehow? It doesn't look good.

marckarasek

Re: Raspberry Pi doesn't start

Postby marckarasek » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:07 pm

This does not sound like it is recoverable.

What size SD card are you using? I would use a min of 16GB now. As the base image will fit ina 8 GB part but once you start adding things and updating (it has to d/l the updates and then apply them) it can eat up the space. I had an issue of runnging out of space on the card and went to a 16GB card.

To answer your question yes the rasp pi will automatically extend the filesystem.

NOTE: Once you get it all up and running and have the image the way you want it. Pull the SD card out of the Rover and use windisk32 to make a backup copy of the image. This way if things go bad you can always recover w/o having to set it all back up again.

Marc

Marcel-Jan

Postby Marcel-Jan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:54 pm

Any way I can start anew? Is there an image somewhere that I can download?

tvoverbeek

Postby tvoverbeek » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:03 pm

You do not need NOOBS, but can download a Raspbian image from the Raspberry Pi site:
Use Etcher to burn the image to your SD card. See .
On first boot the filesystem will be expanded and the Pi will reboot automatically.
Hence the first boot can take some time.

Good luck/Veel succes