Motor gearbox broken - part specs?

The more technical aspects of Spirit, and carry-over discussion from Kickstarter updates.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Sandels
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Motor gearbox broken - part specs?

Postby Sandels » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:55 pm

Hello everyone,

my Spirit Rover's other motor broke down very quickly after testing it and the axle does not spin when loaded, even though gears are rotating in gearbox. Are there any tips on how to fix it or should I just order a new motor? Does anyone know the specs for the motor with the microgearbox? I can find a bunch of different types in Alibaba for example, but would appreciate if anyone know a reliable and compatible choice. I tried asking it from Plum Geek via e-mail but have not received any answer.

gpvillamil

Re: Motor gearbox broken - part specs?

Postby gpvillamil » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:56 pm

I think it is this one:

Though there is also this slower, higher torque version:

They are not expensive, so maybe buy 2 of whatever you choose and you are guaranteed that they match. If the one on the rover is the high-rpm/low torque version, I would certainly try the other one. I think the motors on the rover don’t have enough torque to work well on anything other than a hard surface.

Kevin

Postby Kevin » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:22 pm

If anyone has a motor that never worked correctly, please let me know and I'll replace it. I've heard from 2 people who had this problem. If anyone else send me a contact form from the main website.

If you need extras - we purchased them custom, but they are the same motor as this one from Pololu:
https://www.pololu.com/product/2364

Here are the detailed specifications of the gear motor:
N20AGB Gear Motor 6V, 1:30 ratio , 730rpm no load speed
Size: 10 x 12 x 26mm
Weight: 9.5 g
Shaft Diameter: 3mm D-shaft
Shaft Length: 9mm
Gear Radio: 29.86:1
Free Run Speed @ 6 volts: 730 rpm
Free run current @ 6 volts: 40 mAStall Current @ 6 volts: 700 mA
Stall Torque @ 6 volts: 8 oz-in

TomTheWhittler

Postby TomTheWhittler » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:14 pm

Does anyone have plans on how to adapt to even larger motors and wheels ?
I'm thinking carpeting or even outside.
I could see a carriage that has bigger motors/wheels along with additional batteries. The Spirit Rover plugs into the carriage and allows for expanded range and functions.
Research is the only place in a company where you can continually have failures and still keep your job.
I knew immediately that was where I belonged.

Kevin

Postby Kevin » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:33 pm

Great idea. I think that would need to be designed on a case-by-case basis. You can access the motor control signals with the port on the lower left corner of the main board. You'd probably want to use those signals to control an external motor driver with an external power system. I wouldn't pull power for those motors from the main board. As long as you connect the grounds between the existing board and the expansion board it should work. Let me know if you come up with anything.

Thanks,
-Kevin