Serial port not showing up.

Ringo setup, hardware, basic programming. User to user support.
DCHook
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Serial port not showing up.

Postby DCHook » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:08 am

Hi All,

Received the replacement programmer today and it works just fine. I've already played with a few of the provided sketches and customized a few as well. Great fun.

Unfortunately, one minor gotcha. I let someone else open the package ... :roll: ... and the shipping label for the defective return was damaged (quite a bit). Then, it got thrown out before I could copy the information.

If you provide me with the return address label information I'll be glad to get this sent back. (Don't worry about the cost. I'll pay for it since we damaged the return address label and it'll be very cheap anyway. Just provide me with the address information.)

Thanks again,
Dave

Kevin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kevin » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:30 am

Hey everyone. Thanks for the updates! I'm glad to hear you guys are getting up and running. Sorry again for all the programmer hassles. We knew there had to be some kind of snag - I'm just glad it wasn't something more serious. :D

DCHook - Sorry about the label. We figured some would get eaten by pets or small children. Here's the return address. I much appreciate you sending the baddy back. We'll have it fixed in 20 seconds with a soldering iron.

Plum Geek LLC
229 E. Reserve Street # 102
Vancouver, Wa 98661

pixie-

We just posted an update to Kickstarter along with an update to the Pre-Loaded behaviors (that we didn't have time to actually pre-load). In the KS update we talk about some of the behaviors and what they do. Have a look (link below). If you download the pre-loaded behaviors .zip file, it'll extract a single folder. Place that where ever Arduino is wanting to save its sketches. You can then open it from inside Arduino and should be able to upload it right to Ringo and start playing.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pl ... ts/1334457

Also, read into the first few chapters of the guide. I tried to start easy with some basics of coding. From the page on the website where you download the guide book, you can also download some companion code that goes along with the guide book.

Let me know if you get the pre-behaviors to load. I want to make sure you don't have any additional technical problems getting Ringo to load. If you have more questions about code then post up a new topic and we'll go from there.

Thanks!

golfercacher

Postby golfercacher » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:09 pm

I opened Arduino and went to tools / Port and serial port is grayed out. I installed the FTDI driver for mac os x 7.5.

How do I know if I have a bad programming board or if I messed up the install instructions?

When I have the programming board plugged into my mac and attached to ringo, I see a blinking blueish light and a constant red light.

iwc

Postby iwc » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:09 pm

I got my Ringo Robot today. after install driver and following the instruction. I think I got the programmer which is not working. I have tried with many computers, no one is working. :(

Kevin

Postby Kevin » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:56 pm

golfercacher- Try attaching the programmer to your computer while Ringo is not attached to it. Not sure about the "blinking bluish light". Where is the light located? Is it one of Ringo's white lights? If you turn on Ringo while not attached to the programmer, he should enter test mode - all 6 of his light should blink on and off white color (2 on top, 2 on bottom, both eyes).

iwc - Maybe try a second USB cable if you have one, but yes it sounds like you have a bad one. I'll email you.

Thanks. Hopefully we're about through all the bad programmers. :?
-Kevin

tpearm

Postby tpearm » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:05 am

Having issues with the serial port showing up on a MAC running 10.10.3. I am seeing the red light on ringo, but not seeing the serial port. I'm wondering if I have a bad board. I have tried the different solutions presented on the board.

iwc

Postby iwc » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:06 am

Hello Kevin

I tried with different USB cable, still not working. I think I got the bad one.
i'm waiting for your e-mail

iwc

Postby iwc » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:59 pm

hello Kevin,

what should I do with my ringo? the programmer is not working!!! no reply and no email from you!

:cry:

Kevin

Postby Kevin » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:36 am

Hey IWC-

Sorry about that. I saw your email had been responded to, but it was when I sent you the list of questions. We're shipping another international batch of units tomorrow and I'll make sure you've got a replacement programmer on the way. Really sorry about that - this is the first case of someone outside the US having programmer problems that I'm aware of. :(

If you have a small tip solder iron and can solder, you may try re-tacking down the contacts of the USB port on the programmer. Also, look closely at the green part in the upper left - make sure the solder comes up around both sides of the part. If it's just sitting on the solder, you may grab some wire solder and add a bit more to both sides. That can be a problem once in a while. If you can get it working let me know, otherwise we'll have your replacement out tomorrow. I figure getting yours working is the quickest way to have you running.

Thanks!

positronic

Postby positronic » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:18 am

I'm having the same problem. Got the ringo about a month ago and finally got around to trying it today.

Mac OS 10.10.4. Installed the FTDIUSBSerialDriver_v2.3.dmg successfully, but the port doesn't show up in Arduino. I'm wondering if I got a bad programmer?

Tried a few different USB cables with no joy either.