Different "channels" for IR remote?

Ringo setup, hardware, basic programming. User to user support.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
jaults
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Different "channels" for IR remote?

Postby jaults » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:41 pm

I'm eagerly awaiting receipt of my Ringos, and was wondering... if I buy an extra remote, can I control both of the Ringos, or will the remotes interfere with each other?

Kevin

Re: Different "channels" for IR remote?

Postby Kevin » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:04 am

Hey Jaults. That's a good question. The remotes are hard coded to send the same commands so they would interfere, but with the 20 keys I suppose you could code each Ringo to work with different keys? You could also do some editing in the IR handler where each Ringo would need 2 keys for a command, then you'd press the Ringo target number key then the command.

The remotes are fairly directional though so you may get away with just aiming the remote at the target Ringo. I'd be curious what you come up with for this.

If you ever want to make several Ringos talk to eachother however, you could certainly do this. The remote sends a packet of 4 bytes. The first 2 are always the same, and the 3rd and 4th are different depending on the key pressed. You could change one of the first two bytes to be a "target address" of an intended Ringo - that may work.

We just posted a new version of the Guide on the website - the last chapter is about IR comms if you want to get an idea how it works.

Thanks,
-Kevin