OS X 10.10 Driver/Port Issues

Ringo setup, hardware, basic programming. User to user support.
darrshar
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

OS X 10.10 Driver/Port Issues

Postby darrshar » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:36 am

After uninstalling the Apple drivers, and installing the FTDI 2.3 drivers, Arduino 1.6.5 only shows /dev/cu.usbserial port.
Arduino 1.0.5 shows/dev/tty.usb.serial, but I have to repeatedly upload the sketch because I get a port already in use error. Eventually, after about four attempts at uploading, it works.

Though the documentation says that a newer version of Arduino is necessary, the 1.0.5 seems to work. I've uploaded the Pre-Loaded Behaviors and everything works fine.

Any insight into this would be appreciated.

Kevin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: OS X 10.10 Driver/Port Issues

Postby Kevin » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:07 pm

darrshar,

Thanks for the feedback. That's kind of strange that the two versions show different names for the port. I don't much understand how things work at the driver level here.

One thing I do notice when working myself is Arduino often throws the "Serial port already in use" error. I get this occasionally in the following situations:

1) If I had the serial monitor window open. This seems to cause problems if I had the serial monitor open on one sketch, then tried to upload a sketch from a different Arduino IDE window. Almost like it trips over the serial monitor.

2) If I try to upload to Ringo that isn't turned on, or I forgot to plug it in.

The way I've cleared this error is to unplug and re-plug the USB to the programming adapter. I think this makes the computer see that the port went away and cancels all instances of it.

Please try this and see what happens: Only open one of the two versions of Arduino. Plug in the programmer, then make sure everything is connected and turned on and try to load it. Do you still get this error on the first load attempt? Do you always need to re-attempt it exactly 4 times?

Thanks,
-Kevin

jedward

Postby jedward » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:05 pm

I am running Mac OSX 10.10.4 and just got my Ringo yesterday. I was perplexed at first:

•I downloaded and installed the FTDIUSBSerialDriver v2_3 [not the D2XX driver, I still don't know what it does and was definiely not willing to do the Terminal modifications unless and until I understood 'why?']

•I downloaded and opened the Arduino/IDE app, selected Fio as my board and when I looked at my port info, it showed "/dev/cu.usbserial-########" not "/dev/tty.usb.serial" as PlumGeek's manual described.

After my uncertainty/frustration subsided, I tried plugging and unplugging the programming board; the IDE app registered the board [with the non-conforming name] when plugged in and did not show it when unplugged. Proceeding, I found I could seemingly compile and upload sketches notwithstanding the non-conforming name, so I am acting like I'm good to go there.

Just thought I'd share if someone else finds the same port name anomaly.

darrshar

Postby darrshar » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:42 am

Thanks for the advice, Kevin. I tried what you suggested.

With Arduino 1.6.5, the IDE never shows the USB port.
With Arduino 1.0.5, it shows the port but doesn't upload on the first try - with 'port already in use' and 'programmer not responding' errors. Eventually it uploads. I haven't counted the number of repeated attempts necessary to upload, but it's not exactly four, usually more. Or I unplug it and plug it back in and then repeatedly try.

I want to upload the newer Pre-Loaded Behaviors (Rev05) onto the Ringos for my students, but the size is too big for 1.0.5. I can only do it with my Linux pc and 1.6.5.

I'm a teacher at a school where staff and students all use Macs, so I would like to resolve this issue. When we work with Arduinos (not clones) in other projects, we have no issues with ports.

Thanks again for your reply.

jedward

Postby jedward » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:33 pm

darrshar
What OS and hardware are you trying to use?
I have things running OK on 10.10.4 on a MacBook mid 2010 with Core2 Duo hardware.

After uninstalling the Apple code did you install both the FTDIUSBSerial driver AND the FTDI D2XX driver? If you did not install the latter, you may lack the necessary functionality after removing the Apple code.

You could try reinstalling the Apple code and running just the FTDIUSBSerial driver. That is what is working for me with 10.10.4. I can run the IDE 1.65 just fine, and as you implied it will handle the entire PreLoaded Behavior sketch.

J

darrshar

Postby darrshar » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:27 am

Thanks for the advice, jedward.

I had both drivers installed but without success with Arduino 1.6.5.
I tried uninstalling the D2XX and reinstalling the Apple driver along with the FTDIUSBserial driver, like you use, and only 1.0.5 registers the port. Arduino 1.6.5 only shows the port as 'cu' without 'tty'.

I have 10.10.4 on a mid-2012 MacBook Pro with Intel Core i5 processor.

jedward

Postby jedward » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:28 pm

Your statement that

"only 1.0.5 registers the port. Arduino 1.6.5 only shows the port as 'cu' without 'tty'."

suggests to me that you may be functionally fine. I can compile and upload any code I write to Ringo when my IDE 1.6.5 whows my port information as:

"/dev/cu.usbserial-########" not "/dev/tty.usb.serial" as in PlumGeek's manual.

Have you tried actually uploading the Preloaded sketch under 1.6.5?

darrshar

Postby darrshar » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:02 am

Last edited by darrshar on Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

jedward

Postby jedward » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:45 pm

d
Wow. I confess I don't begin to understand what those error messages mean.
Sorry I can't help u.
J

Kevin

Postby Kevin » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:07 pm