Missing MiscHardware Library ?

Ringo setup, hardware, basic programming. User to user support.
PeteM
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Missing MiscHardware Library ?

Postby PeteM » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:14 pm

Just got my Ringo. Looks great and the initial start up script has it flash it's lights and spin in both directions. Nice!

Thats fun but only for about 2 times. :) Now to wait for the coming example scripts.

I just discovered you can press the user button BTN (next to the RESET button) a number of times to see some actions. This is likely a test routine programmed to the user button. The 4th press of the button starts the action. This is fun and will be interesting to see the code that controls these test maneuvers.

However, I thought I try to play with the NeoPixels but following the example in the early Guide it calls for a MiscHardware library which in turn calls the other libraries, and sets up Ringos I/O pins. HOWEVER, there is no MiscHardware library in the library code section yet.

So we'll have to be patient and wait a bit longer, but thought I'd mention it so no one starts pulling their hair out trying to follow the guide or roll their own scripts until that library is available.

Pete

Kevin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Missing MiscHardware Library ?

Postby Kevin » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:13 am

Hello Pete!

We've been busy for the past few days wrapping up the first official software release. We've made quite a few changes (that will actually make coding easier) so right now the examples in the guide don't exactly match. I plan to stick around late at the shop tonight getting things squared up.

Visit http://www.plumgeek.com and follow the steps listed to install the drivers for the programmer and also to install the 3 library folders then the upcoming examples (and the sketch below) should compile okay.

Download the file attached to this post. "Ringo_Base_Sketch_01.zip" - unzip it and open the file "Ringo_Base_Sketch_01". You should open this through the Arduino IDE (rather than through Windows explorer, as that method seems to throw errors on some systems). Once inside this sketch you should be able to start hacking together your own behaviors. The "MiscHardware" in the guide has been re-named to "RingoHardware".

You may want to look at the tab "FunStuff" where we've defined a few helper functions that aren't in the guide yet, but they work. Go ahead and play with them.

This example appears to work fine in Arduino IDE versions 1.0.6 through 1.6.5. I'd suggest using 1.6.5 as the interface is improved.

And you're correct... the units still have their test software on them we used when testing the hardware of each unit.

Good luck and have fun!
-Kevin
Attachments
Ringo_Base_Sketch_01.zip
(34.11 KiB) Downloaded 590 times

DustinSoodak

Postby DustinSoodak » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:33 am

A separate copy of MiscHardware (renamed RingoHardware) will be included in each example sketch (several examples should be ready for release this evening).

PeteM

Postby PeteM » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:03 am

Thanks guys! This is a fantastic robot you've created and your hard work is truly appreciated. I'll be learning a lot while having a blast with Ringo.

Pete

Kevin

Postby Kevin » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:10 am

Okay here we go!!

We've just posted up a revised version of the Ringo guide and some code. It's 11pm now and I've been at the shop since about 5am working on this, so the guide probably still has a few errors in it. The words were starting to walk around the page on their own - I'm taking that as a clue that it's time for rest. :)

Get the Ringo guide here: (and keep watching this page as we update it this week - still need to add some new sections and complete others)
http://www.plumgeek.com/ringo-guide.html

On that page you can also get the companion code that goes along with the guide, and most important.... get the latest version of the "Base Sketch". Use this as a basis for writing your own code. It's already got all the most up to date back-end functions in the tabs. We're really happy with the back-end functions. Dustin was able to really clean them up nice over the past few days.

Finally.... the "10 example behaviors" should be together early this week. These will be mostly behaviors from the Kickstarter video. Just need to port them over to work with the most recent version of back-end functions.

Within a week or so we should have the libraries and examples all organized in a neat folder that you can drop right into your Arduino folder. We're putting it out as we have it so everyone can start doing something right away as their Ringos arrive.

G'night!
-Kevin

cbw060

Postby cbw060 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:50 am

Just starting to play with my Ringo that arrived today.
1) I tried to upload "funstuff" but got message:
====
In file included from RingoHardware.h:23:0,
from Ringo_PreLoaded_Behaviors_Rev02.ino:27:
Navigation.h:1:27: fatal error: RingoMsTimer2.h: No such file or directory
#include <RingoMsTimer2.h>
====
Even stranger, is that after this compile error, the sketch "RingoPreLoadBehaviours_02" doesn't compile and gives same error.

The three libraries are in the library folder, see attachment....
2) For some reason, and I'm sure it is "operator error", the serial port is not showing anything when Ringo is/was running the behaviour sketch. ^

ITEM 2: operator error!..had wrong baud rate selected.
Attachments
library_ringo.tiff
(134.97 KiB) Downloaded 1137 times
Last edited by cbw060 on Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeteM

Postby PeteM » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:33 am

What IDE version are you running? Mac or PC?

Kevin

Postby Kevin » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:56 pm

cbw-

Looks like the libraries are installed correctly by your image.

Couple things to try...

Always open the sketch from within the Arduino IDE by going to File>Open, or Sketchbook, or Recent. Arduino seems be happier this way - I've had compile problems if I just go into my file manager and double click the .ino from there. You want to open the file "Ringo_Base_Sketch_02.ino". This will open the sketch and will automatically open the other files in tabs across the top of the IDE.

You may be trying to open just the "FunStuff" by itself, which will cause problems, as "FunStuff" is a supporting tab within the "Ringo_Base_Sketch_02" main sketch.

-Kevin

cbw060

Postby cbw060 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:41 pm

Hi:
1) I opened RingoPreloadedBehaviorsRev2 from within IDE
2) when I compile I get the error message regarding missing RingoMsTimer2.h
3) here is copy of complete error message:
Arduino: 1.6.4 (Mac OS X), Board: "Arduino Fio"

In file included from RingoHardware.h:23:0,
from Ringo_PreLoaded_Behaviors_Rev02.ino:27:
Navigation.h:1:27: fatal error: RingoMsTimer2.h: No such file or directory
#include <RingoMsTimer2.h>
^
compilation terminated.
Error compiling

PeteM

Postby PeteM » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:48 pm

I'm running a Mac and have success with IDE version 1.65r3 You might try this version.