SwitchSerialToMotors hanging

Ringo setup, hardware, basic programming. User to user support.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
mguarnac
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

SwitchSerialToMotors hanging

Postby mguarnac » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:10 pm

I'm trying to run the preloaded behaviors and the #1 option "drive with remote" hangs when I try to move in any direction. The other options within this example work to change color of eyes or make beeps. I added debug prints and narrowed down to the SwitchSerialToMotors routine. It actually hangs in the lib call to: Serial.end();
I'm running 10.7.5 MAC OSX
I'm able to program Ringo no problem and the serial port works though when it first I get 1 weird symbol on the serial port scene initially.
Any ideas on why I'm getting stuck here?

Kevin

Re: SwitchSerialToMotors hanging

Postby Kevin » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:16 am

That sounds strange. Haven't encountered that one. Is it possible your computer is sending serial into the robot when this happens? Just making a random guess.

The only serial issue we've had is when trying to debug and forgetting to call SwitchMotorsToSerial() first. I believe the Motors() function automatically switches it back to Motors mode.

Maybe try digging around google for something like Arduino hangs Serial.end() and see if anything comes up.

I'm curious to hear more. Maybe zip up the folder containing your sketch and attach it to a message here. Also can you verify the version of Arduino IDE you're running, and if you installed it via the Arduino installer, or if you got the stand alone version?

Serial.end() is an internal Arduino function that we haven't messed with ourselves so it should "just work".

Let us know. Good luck. :)