Can't program

Ringo setup, hardware, basic programming. User to user support.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Fredjamess
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Can't program

Postby Fredjamess » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:40 am

Just got my hands on the ringo bot and I installed the drivers plus all the other software but my ringo bot will not connect to my computer. It's a windows 10 and I tried linux as well but soon as I hook it up nothing it's dose not show the port to connected to it I'm lost plus it tries to do it dance when turns on and plugs in with red light

sil

Re: Can't program

Postby sil » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:34 am

It doesnt matter what usb port you connect the ringo too, and it doesn't " show up " in the operating system. You do NOT connect it with a usb cable to program it, you Must use the programming board cable to connect to ringo and the usb cable connects to that. It DOES matter that you followed the installation instructions exactly as instructed and in the order given. So maybe you have installed everything correctly, in the arduino software you should the sketchbooks from plumgeek, select the default behaviours one, verify it, then with ringo correctly connected you press the Upload button and the default behaviours should compile then Write to the ringo and read back to verify the writing worked. Your ringo is setup correctly. Maybe getting the correct COM port in the arduino software and baud rate. Maybe we all should have the same? Mine is COM3 and 57,600 baud rate. See the arduino.cc software instructions to set up the com port settings properly.

Your ringo is fine, the dance when you turn it on is preloaded behaviour, and the red light when plugged in is the battery charging up, the light goes out when the battery is fully charged.

Fredjamess

Postby Fredjamess » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:12 pm

I using the program board I setup all the software like in the setup page plus the doing fix's to the com port on all Linux computers and windows systems we used (which are windows 7, 8.1, 10). it will not notified of list the com port on any of them systems. we use three working USB cords on the program board and we try sending the new file the we programmed to change to start and behavior. it set up like it show in the setup video. we did not try to just use the the USB port on the Ringo bot to program it.

we tried to install the default behavior and it would not upload at all even when restart the Ringo bot and re plug in all the cords.

sil

Postby sil » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:01 am

do you have any error messages you can share? Are you plugging the usb cable into the computer or a usb hub? I dont have access to windows 10 to test but I'm running win7 for my setup. I can only guess there is an error message at the bottom of the arduino software screen that will help give a clue. Maybe it can't find an include, it seems to be a common problem others have: not installing all the files into the correct location.

Don't edit anything, I'd suggest redownloading all includes and example and base files and reinstall them, overwrite what you have in case you've accidentally edited any (which should never be done).Then open up the default behaviour and upload that to your bot, do not edit anything. If the hardware is connected properly and the software installation steps were followed then this should just work. if not you may have missed something and an error message would help pin down where.

hard to troubleshoot from a distance (btw i'm not associated with Plum Geek, just another supporter trying to help). Its easy to plug in the program ribbon cable improperly on all pins, make sure both ends are properly plugged in and the correct way around. check you havent bent a pin or have one missing/broken. My feeling is you've made a simple mistake somewhere thats staring you in the face (hate when that happens) and once you're up and running you'll be forever fine. It's possible you might have another usb device taking up the com port, but if the arduino software runs i think you're fine on the OS front.