Serial port not showing up.

Ringo setup, hardware, basic programming. User to user support.
DCHook
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Serial port not showing up.

Postby DCHook » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:32 pm

I'm also unable to get a serial port to show up when connecting the programmer. (In fact, there is no recognition of a device being connected at all -- no audio indication, etc.)

I installed the drivers successfully and connected the programmer to 4 different machines: 3 Windows 7 machines including one running in a VM on a Mac running OSX 10.10.4 and one running Windows 8.1. I also did this in combination with 3 different USB cables. I've used these USB cables to program devices in the past so I'm confident that they're data capable -- not just charging cables.

The Ringo charges just fine and reacts properly to the charging jumper on the programmer (stops charging).

I briefly inspected the board (as you suggested to another user) and didn't see any obvious problems. I'm attaching a picture of my board.

I'm not sure what to do next because I'm skeptical of this being a cable issue and I've spent enough time on it. So, I guess I'm setting it aside for now. Still looking forward to playing with it at some point, though.

I'm hoping you can provide some guidance.

Thanks,
Dave
Attachments
RingoProgrammer1-Resize4.jpg
(198.91 KiB) Downloaded 889 times

weirdbal
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby weirdbal » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:28 pm

A visual inspection doesn't reveal any problems with the board. Best picture I could get is attached. I checked the Device Manager when it was plugged in to see if anything showed up there for manual driver setup, but it is not registering there at all.
Attachments
ringo_program_board.jpg
(128.94 KiB) Downloaded 888 times

Kevin

Postby Kevin » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:48 pm

Thanks DCHook. The programmer in the image looks fine - I don't see any problems in any areas that I'd expect would cause this issue.

Do any of the people having trouble with the programmer have a mulitmeter?

If so, I'd ask you to check a couple of things. Switch the meter to measure voltage. Check the image below and measure a couple voltages. Note that the flux in the solder forms a bit of a shell layer over the solder, so you may have to poke into it a bit or rub the probe on the part a bit to get a reading (just be careful with the small capacitor where the 3.3v should be).

This will tell us if the resettable fuse (the green part "F1") is conducting and operating. Also, the chip has an internal 3.3v regulator. This will show us that this regulator is working at that the chip is at least powered up.

Put the black "negative" meter probe where noted, then try testing the left side of C4 which should be about 5 volts, then check the upper end of C6, which should be about 3.3 volts.

Also for those having trouble, can you please answer the following questions and post back - this will be an easy way to consolidate all the issues together into a single list which I can then contact FTDI about on Monday.

1) Please list the computers you have attempted to use the programmer with. Please include OS versions.

2) If this was a Windows computer, please confirm if the FTDI driver installation program was run prior to connecting the programmer for the first time. Also please confirm if that installation appeared to run smoothly (no errors, etc. Sometimes you can get an error that the "user must be elevated" or something to that effect, in this case, you'd need to right click the driver setup .exe and choose "run as administrator").

3) Please include any other notes about the experience you think may be useful to communicate to FTDI.

Thanks. We'll keep at this.
-Kevin

Kevin

Postby Kevin » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:04 pm

After a bit more digging, I found this... may be of help.

Looks like people were having the same trouble with OS X 10.9 Mavericks when using the SparkFun Red Board. The thread is a bit old but this may still be an issue on later versions of OS X. The solution posted apparently worked for several people on the thread.

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=198539.0

DCHook

Postby DCHook » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:05 pm

Hi Kevin, Thanks for the response.

I checked both of the points you mentioned and they were correct -- left-side of C4 was ~5v and upper end of C6 was 3.3v.

Here are the answers to your questions:

1. Windows 7, Windows 7 (2), Windows 8.1, Windows 7 in a VM on a Mac OSX 10.10.4.
2. FTDI installer program was run as administrator successfully.
3. Multiple USB A - USB mini-B cables tested.

Dave

trent

Postby trent » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:33 pm

Hi Kevin,

I've visually checked the programmer and don't see any obvious soldering problems, and the black jumper is in place. The drivers were installed successfully. I've plugged this into several ports using different cables on two different PCs running Windows 8.1, and have never heard the "da-dunk" sound of the computer recognizing anything there. The charging light on the Ringo comes on when I plug it in directly with the USB, but not going through the programmer.

Thanks
-Trent

Kevin

Postby Kevin » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:49 pm

Trent,

I think there is definitely something wrong with your programmer if you're not getting charging when the jumper is in place. If the 5v power from your USB cable is getting into the board at all, it should be charging. Maybe have a close look where the green fuse connects in the upper left and see if maybe it pulled back from one of the pads and somehow got missed in testing. Sometimes it can make/brake intermittent contact if it's really close but not a solid solder contact. Haven't see that on a programmer yet but it is a general problem that could happen to any surface mount part in assembly.

We'll definitely be sending out new programmers to you guys effected on Monday which I'll test thoroughly on a couple of computers - we'll see if that fixes the issue. Then I can get the programmers you already have for further study.

Thanks,
-Kevin

weirdbal

Postby weirdbal » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:09 pm

I am barely registering 0.01V on C4 on my board. I verified the same cable is charging Ringo when plugged in directly, and checked the multimeter against a AA battery to make sure it was working fine first.

weirdbal

Postby weirdbal » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:16 pm

Oh, and to provide the full details requested:

1) Two machines running Windows 7, fully patched, and one Macbook Air running OS X 10.10.3.
2) FTDI drivers were installed before ever plugging in the board, with an admin account, and all indications were that it was successful.
3) I was able to manually create a COM port in the device manager and choose the FTDI drivers for it, so they are there and able to be used, but the board does not show up as a device when it is plugged in with multiple different USB cables.

DCHook

Postby DCHook » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:25 pm

Okay, here's my last bit of information on this issue for now.

I tried a completely separate clean machine -- my MacBook Pro (running 10.10.4). Followed all the instructions for setting up the FTDI drivers but nothing is detected when the programmer is plugged in (using multiple USB cables as well).

Charging is successful but the programmer is not detected at all.

At this point, I have to assume that this is an issue with the programmer. Too many machines, different platforms, cables, combinations, etc. to not have seen at least one indication that a device was detected upon connection at some point. But I haven't seen anything, ever.

All for now,
Dave