Forward-thinking: Jessie or Stretch? Python 2 or Python 3?

The more technical aspects of Spirit, and carry-over discussion from Kickstarter updates.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
esba1ley

Forward-thinking: Jessie or Stretch? Python 2 or Python 3?

Postby esba1ley » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:08 pm

----------
Erik S. Bailey
Entry, Descent, and Landing Aerospace Engineer
Maker, and Musician
SpiritRover Kickstarter Backer #460

Bastian
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Forward-thinking: Jessie or Stretch? Python 2 or Python 3?

Postby Bastian » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:04 pm

I upgraded Raspian to Stretch and compiled openCV 3.3. against 2.7 bindings (more libraries/packages available).
I think that's future proof enough for a while ;0)

esba1ley

Postby esba1ley » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:51 pm

I compiled OpenCV 3.4 against both Python2.7 and Python3.0 bindings simultaneously. That's even more future-proof... and just as easy to do.
----------
Erik S. Bailey
Maker, and Musician

gpvillamil

Postby gpvillamil » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:03 pm

marckarasek

Postby marckarasek » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:05 pm

I propose C and kernel drivers and actual applications.

Python is good and all but it does not get you the speed and flexibility of having kernel level code.

esba1ley

Postby esba1ley » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:27 am

I agree with your ratinoale for C marckarasek... but C isn't for everyone. I thought kevin's intent was for an education platform for younger coders, for which I think python is the right start, they can then branch into C if they need the performance.

kevin? This is your baby...
----------
Erik S. Bailey
Maker, and Musician

marckarasek

Postby marckarasek » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:14 pm

Python as the outside interface into the rover would be great, a way to program the rover over ethernet or BLE to tell it to do things. (Move forward, take a picture, video, etc..). Maybe even a graphical interface for real young coders (kinda like turtle).

We could even have an interface in the 'spirit' of the way they drive the real rovers on Mars. They program a set of instructions and send them to the Rover.

I would like to get to the point of having a custom SD card image with kernel drivers, things configured to make this possible.

For younger coders just assembling the rover will/could be a challenge unto itself. Plus setting up ssh, getting a shell prompt (what is a cmdline?) and using git or ftp to get the code to run.