Alternative wheels for Spirit Rover

The more technical aspects of Spirit, and carry-over discussion from Kickstarter updates.
gpvillamil

Alternative wheels for Spirit Rover

Postby gpvillamil » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:59 pm

I noticed that performance on carpet is quite poor, due to the thin wheels. I designed some alternative wheels, more rover-like, that are designed to provide a greater contact patch, and include ridges to improve traction.

Here are the wheels and some pictures: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2786157

To be honest, the performance improvement was marginal. I may need to change the design to increase the contact area further, and make the ridges a zigzag pattern. I also want to add a groove for a rubber o-ring to act as a tire on smooth surfaces. This rover wheel is quite noisy on hard floors.

Any thoughts?

TomTheWhittler

Re: Alternative wheels for Spirit Rover

Postby TomTheWhittler » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:34 pm

Love it.. Too bad we could not make these 2 or 3 inches in diameter to give better surface area but then we would have to re-do motor mounts and such.
Ultimately I want to drive the Spirit Rover around my house remotely so I may have to design up a bigger system to have bigger wheels, hold more batteries, motors, etc..
On the other hand maybe I should just take my dead WowWee's Rovio and convert it.

Rovio.jpg
(18.27 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Research is the only place in a company where you can continually have failures and still keep your job.
I knew immediately that was where I belonged.

gpvillamil

Re: Alternative wheels for Spirit Rover

Postby gpvillamil » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:59 am

Yeah, ultimately I want to drive this over the Internet.

I used to have a Meccano Spykee, but that gradually succumbed to WiFi incompatibilities and the end of cloud services.

What appeals to me about the Spirit Rover is that it is potentially 1) Internet controllable 2) has a camera and 3) has an effector (the gripper).

I have a scheme to build control software that enforces a 7 minute delay on communications to and from the rover, so the command challenges will be like driving on Mars.

TomTheWhittler wrote:Love it.. Too bad we could not make these 2 or 3 inches in diameter to give better surface area but then we would have to re-do motor mounts and such.
Ultimately I want to drive the Spirit Rover around my house remotely so I may have to design up a bigger system to have bigger wheels, hold more batteries, motors, etc..
On the other hand maybe I should just take my dead WowWee's Rovio and convert it.

Rovio.jpg